We are seeking a financial professional to serve as Business Manager to support further growth of our mission. This position will envision and oversee the business affairs to provide the best possible educational services with the financial resources available. This position reports to the Principal and will oversee and work closely with administrative staff members, as well as lay leaders and outsourced professionals as needed. The Business Manager sits on the school’s leadership team and works closely with the Treasurer and the Finance Committee to create and implement a vision for the school’s continued success. The ideal candidate will be organized, adaptable, able to strategically advance relationships with stakeholders, and take initiative.
This is a full-time position, based at the school in Chicago. Due to the pandemic, there is an option to work remotely for the time being.
- Supervise the financial affairs of the school
- Develop and manage the budget for all areas for review and approval by Principal and Finance Committee
- Ensure timely and accurate preparation of monthly/quarterly/annual financial reports for the purpose of management and oversight by the Principal and Finance Committee
- Facilitates strategic financial planning
- Provides financial analyses and reports for the purpose of forecasting, cash flow management, facilities cost management, and other as needed
- Analyzes and interprets financial data and attends meetings of the Finance Committee and the Board of Directors, as required
- Oversees the conduct of the annual audit and prepares associated schedules and work papers
- Develops, maintains, and oversees all internal financial controls and policies
- Monitor and execute appropriate cash management
- Negotiate and procure all employee benefits and insurance packages
- Oversight of all property and liability insurances.
- Oversee compensation, contracts, benefits programs, and process payroll
- Attend to or supervise day-to-day accounting and finance activities ensuring accuracy and timeliness
- Supervise Director of Operations
- Ensure effective maintenance, back-up, and security of all financial management systems
- Oversee the collection process and communicate with parents about financial issues
- Oversee banking activities and management of all school accounts
- Ensure adherence to and review fund accounting principles
- Maintain banking relations through the timely preparation of quarterly, semi-annual, and annual reporting requirements
- Oversee all school purchasing ensuring appropriate authorization for spending
- Serve on the Tuition Assistance Committee
- Assemble and analyze third party data and tax returns from tuition assistance applications for Committee review
- Collect data and complete annual surveys for JUF and other funding organizations
- Attend and participate in regular Day School Business Manager meetings
- Bachelor’s degree in accounting, finance or related field. CPA preferred.
- Minimum of three years of experience with increasing responsibility. Supervisory experience preferred.
- Self-starter with the ability to work productively, meet benchmarks, and report on activities without daily supervision. Ability to work collaboratively and independently.
- Superior verbal and written communication skills
- Proficiency in Excel, QuickBooks; familiarity with FACTS SIS and ADP or other payroll service preferred.
- Excellent decision making and organizational skills and strong analytical aptitude
- Attention to detail for high level of accuracy
- Nonprofit experience preferred
- Work with a wonderfully supportive team of people committed to meaningful work
- Blue Cross/Blue Shield medical Insurance
- Life Insurance
- Voluntary dental and vision insurance
- Tuition discount for children
How to Apply
Please submit your resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org. In your cover letter, please explain why you are excited about Akiba-Schechter Jewish Day School and how your experiences and skills will help further our mission.
Director of Institutional Advancement
Akiba-Schechter Jewish Day School is seeking a Director of Institutional Advancement to support further growth of our mission. This position will plan, manage, and implement activities related to development and fundraising, marketing and communications, and community partnerships. This position reports to the Principal and will work closely with administrative support teams, as well as volunteer and outsourced professionals. The Director of Institutional Advancement sits on the school’s leadership team and works closely with the school’s committees for development and marketing to create and implement a vision for the school’s continued success. The ideal candidate will be flexible, adaptable and able to strategically advance relationships with the school administration, faculty, staff, board members, parents, and community volunteers.
This is a full-time position, based at the school in Chicago. Due to the pandemic, there is an option to work remotely until the end of the calendar year at least.
The successful candidate will be responsible for the management and implementation of Akiba-Schechter external relationship activities. Responsibilities will include:
In collaboration with respective committees, create and implement an effective, mission and values centered strategic plan to include each functional area of institutional advancement: development and fundraising, marketing and communications, and community partnerships.
- Regularly evaluate and report on planned activities and results to various constituency groups as needed.
- Create an annual budget to support these efforts in collaboration with the business manager and/or Treasurer.
- Participate in weekly leadership team meetings, monthly committee meetings, and bimonthly board meetings.
- Participate in weekly one-on-one meetings with the Principal.
- Create and oversee implementation of all institutional advancement policies and protocols, with an emphasis on donor relationships and value-based fundraising.
Development and Fundraising
Plan and implement activities related to the Annual Fund, Major Gifts, Special Initiatives, Grants, and Donor Relations/Recognition.
- Oversee and participate in the day to day implementation of this plan to meet a Year One fundraising goal of $200K and secure appropriate incremental increases each year thereafter.
- Oversee school’s participation in programs such as Empower Illinois and others as appropriate.
- Oversee and maximize the work of the development committee, including the current database creation project.
- Provide the board and staff with fundraising training and leadership development opportunities.
- Regularly analyze activities and provide reports to the Principal, leadership team, development committee, and Board of Directors.
- Plan and manage an annual calendar of stewardship and fundraising events, emphasizing flexibility in a virtual environment. Events may include: Grandparents Day, Annual Fundraiser, Donor Recognition Events, etc.
- Oversee the support of parents and volunteers to implement each event.
- Maintain accurate data so as to regularly communicate with stakeholders, including Alumni.
- Create and implement opportunities for Alumni to interact with and give back to the Akiba community.
Marketing and Communications
- Oversee all external communication activities, ensuring effective brand management and mission centered messaging.
- Evaluate and elevate current communication platforms: website, social media, etc.
- Collaborate with and manage administrative support and other professionals to complete these tasks and projects.
- Bachelor’s degree and demonstrated continued education
- 5-7 years of experience, with demonstrated success building and implementing the aforementioned programming
- Familiarity with donor databases
- Passion and commitment to Jewish diversity and education
- Self-starter with the ability to work productively, meet benchmarks, and report on activities without daily supervision
- Superior verbal and written communication skills
- Innovative and entrepreneurial
- High energy with a can-do attitude
- Excellent judgment and decision making skills
- Ability to work irregular hours as needed
- Flexible and adaptable
How to Apply
Please submit your resume, cover letter, and two writing samples to email@example.com. In your cover letter, please explain why you are excited about Akiba-Schechter Jewish Day School and how your experiences and skills will help further our mission.
In-Building Teaching Assistant Position
Akiba-Schechter Jewish Day School is seeking a Teaching Assistant to support teachers who are absent or teaching remotely as well as with the general supervision and management of students. This position will work under the direction of the classroom teacher(s) to support the implementation of instructional plans. The Teaching Assistant must be attentive to the unique needs of each student and be able to identify proper solutions when students encounter issues. You should have strong interpersonal skills, as you'll be collaborating with other teachers, working with students and possibly talking to families. The ideal candidate will be flexible, creative, kind, patient, and self-directed.
This is a full-time, in-person position.
The successful candidate will be responsible for effectively supporting student learning. Responsibilities will include:
- Coordinating with the classroom teachers to understand and implement lesson and unit plans as needed
- Providing in-school support for learning, including individual student support
- Providing general student supervision, including lunch and recess
- Supporting classrooms when teachers are absent or teaching remotely
- Bachelor’s degree
- Experience working with children
- Technology skills and confidence
- Belief in the ability of all students to learn and succeed
- Positive energy and a can-do attitude
- Excellent judgment, decision making, and problem solving skills
- Flexible, adaptable, attentive to detail
- Ability to maintain confidentiality
How to Apply
Please submit your resume, cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org. In your cover letter, please explain why you are excited about Akiba-Schechter Jewish Day School and how your experiences and skills will help further our mission.
Akiba-Schechter Jewish Day School is always looking for substitute teachers for preschool through 8th grade. Candidates should have an affinity for children, and be flexible and creative. Ideally they should have a background in teaching. We are mostly looking for those with experience in Judaic Studies and Hebrew, though we are also interested in General Studies teachers. Transportation is available to/from Skokie, West Rogers Park and Lakeview. To learn more, please contact email@example.com.