Why Choose Akiba?
Our parents are our best voice for Why Chose Akiba, click here to learn more.
Here are just a few other reasons that make Akiba a unique choice for your family:
- We teach students, not subjects. Individualization is our calling card.
- Our classes are multi-age by design. Read why.
- We have 70-year history on the South Side of Chicago.
- The Buddy Program pairs 7th/8th grade students with 1st/2nd partners.
- The 8th grade graduates spend two weeks in Israel together.
- Over the last 15 years, 93% of our graduates who applied to CPS Selective Enrollment High Schools were admitted to their 1st choice.
- We have 4 school bus routes: Skokie, West Rogers Park, Lincoln Park, and South Loop. We're 15 minutes from downtown.
- Our Preschool/Kindergarten is play-based and Reggio-Emilia inspired.
- Several of our faculty and staff have received awards for their craft:
- Preschool Director Carla Goldberg received the Kohl-McCormick Award for Excellence in Early Childhood Education.
- Preschool teacher Arundhati Srimani won the 2019 Sue Pinsky Award for Excellence in Jewish Education.
- Principal Miriam Kass received the Grinspoon-Steinhardt Award for Excellence in Jewish Education.
- 1st/2nd grade teacher Scott Salk, Science teacher Michelle Rotfeld, and former Middle School Judaics teacher and now consultant Alise Gold received the Hartman Award for Excellence in Education.
- Our students consistently win prizes at state and national competitions:
- Chidon HaTanach, the National Bible Contest
- Illinois Junior Academy of Science (IJAS) State Science Fair
- National History Day (NHD) History Fair
- Scripps National Spelling Bee
- Project Shine
- We are within walking distance to several of Chicago’s major museums and educational institutions—and make use of them frequently.
- We have a 10:1 student/teacher ratio in grades 1-8 and a 7:1 ratio in the preschool.
- We award over $700,000 every year in tuition assitance to Akiba-Schechter families.